Wednesday, December 19, 2012

How many pumps per day? (ppd)

Well, it depends on how old your baby is, how long you have been pumping already, how large your supply is, and depending on that, if you are ok with supplementing with formula towards the end of your goal time to pump breast milk for your child.

From the get-go, it is extremely important to pump as often as your child eats. Yes, that means every two hours or more. This is to simulate when your baby would actually nurse. If you have a hectic schedule, or another child (or children), then you should shoot for the minimum number of times, listed below. Your body produces the hormone prolactin (get it--lact-- as in lactate) to stimulate lactation during the first twelve or so weeks of your baby's life, so to engage and establish your supply, it is vitally important to pump

8-12 times a day (for the first 12 weeks).

I shoot for 9, and it's easy to do when you have developed a routine. I organize everything I do around when little N eats and when I pump. Not nap time (and the reason for that is that if I need to go somewhere and tis' nap time, I put her in my Ergo and she conks out. But we can talk about nap time later)

I've read many women who have no problem with pumping seven times, or six times a day and producing more than enough breast milk for their babies. They are very blessed with a good milk supply-- and some of that may be because of having a great start with pumping.

When I started, it was two weeks after my daughter was born and had been nibbling on my nipple for two weeks breastfeeding, so I really had to work to get my supply back to where it is now (supplementing only one bottle of formula a day). If this is you, it is super important to pump at least the minimum of times per day. 

If you are the mom with gallons of breast milk in the deep freezer, consider Human Milk for Human Babies and donate to a mom (willing) to use your extra milk. 

how much some women get
I get about half this much in the fridge in the morning. It dwindles to nothing around five pm


(side note: if you are donating, provide how old your baby was at the time you pumped the milk, because milk composition changes as babies get older. They specify milk between birth to 2 months, 2-6 months, 6-12 months, and 12 months +)

One other important thing about pumping is your middle of the night pumping. Between the hours of 1am and 5am, there is an increase of prolactin produced by your pituitary gland. Pumping at least once at night time is important, because you want to hone in on that prolactin increase to help stimulate and maintain your milk supply. This pumping session is one of the most important ones to keep for as long as you can, even if your little one sleeps through the night. 

Don't we all look this happy when we're pumping!? hah hah NO.
After 12 weeks or so (or so meaning you shouldn't just drop three pumping sessions on week 12-day 1, because the hormonal effect changes slowly.), you can drop one pump. I've read that the best way to do it is to drop one pumping session a month (see reason below), until you are at the number of pumps or (more importantly) the number of ounces you would like to maintain. 

As you drop pumps, it will take a month to notice any drop in your supply. There will be a drop. You may lose a half an ounce from your day's pumpings, or you may lose 2 oz. Knowing this, it's important to make a good decision in mind about how much formula you are willing to supplement (again, if this is an issue for you).

Many women settle down at 5 or 6 pumps per day comfortably. Some may settle at four, but that it on the verge of weaning. You know your needs (needs to get out of the house and away from that darn pump), your baby's needs (how much milk they need, how much formula you are willing to give them), and other extraneous factors--other children, your husband is tired of that machine, pain from pumping.

My daughter reaches twelve weeks this Friday. And honestly, I'm fearful of dropping a pumping session, but I know that it might give me more sleep, and more patience. I've started to come to peace with the formula she has to eat (it does help her sleep longer. :P) But I also know that as I drop pumps, and I lose ounces, there will be more formula and less breast milk. I'm not at peace with that yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment