Friday, December 21, 2012

How much suction?

When you are pumping, the beginning two minutes (or so) engages your nipple and areola to let your milk down. This is done by quick, low suction.

Then your pump switches to deeper, longer sucks, pulling your nipple and areola deeper into the flange. This is the suction it maintains until you turn off your pump.

Your pump has a standard suction for both of those, and you have the option of turning it up or down to your needs. The question is? How strong of suction should your pump be giving you.

I read on one website that the suction stimulating the letdown reflex is the equivalent of a sleeping baby sucking, which means that to have your "active baby sucking" you really need to turn it up. This website endorsed the idea that you should put the suction as high as you can stand it.

I've also read that you should let it be and not get too much suction going on because you could give your self nipple trauma.

The lactation consultant I worked with through WIC said to turn it up as high as you can stand it.

Well, if you are like me, you are relatively sore during pumping sessions (this is partially due to thrush, which I'm working on) . so I draw the line with my suction. On the Medela Symphony, I usually turn it up three degrees of suction after the initial let down. There have been times that I've pushed it (and myself) to maximum but I usually cannot stand that much suction.

Gotta go. Crying baby.  

No comments:

Post a Comment