Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Beginning

I never meant to exclusively pump for my daughter.

We were going to breastfeed, and breastfeed a LONG time. That was on my list of things i wanted to do, along with babywearing, attachment parenting, co-sleeping (another thing that didn't work out), cloth diapering, natural childbirth, water birth, no induction, and birth at a birth center (this would have been homebirth if we didn't live in the basement of our landlady).

That's what we started with. Little N (well, hardly little, born at 9lb 3oz) was breastfeeding and we were using a nipple shield because my nipples were flat and she couldn't grab them.

But it was painful! SOO bad. And my nipples were peeling layers of skin after every feeding, coming out of the nipple shield misshapen and very sore and sensitive. And they were so sore though I would slather lanolin on them religiously after every nursing. Those first two weeks, i was in a perpetual flash--breasts exposed to the air in hopes that they would heal.

Then at N's (and my) two week appointment, she was still under birthweight, at 8lb 8oz, and our midwife was concerned. She said N wasn't nursing efficiently. She took one look at my nipples and said we should take a break. Pump for a bit and heal up, and get some help. My husband, N, and I went to a Le Leche League meeting that night, with our hungry screaming baby and pump in tow. The leader was helpful, attempting to latch her screaming mouth on my still flat nipple, and then said it was ok to give her formula. Your goal is to feed the baby. So my husband was off to the supermarket to get some formula and a bottle. Two things we thought we'd never need.

N also had a pediatric chiropractor look at her. He said she had tension in her neck, jaw, and diaphragm, and also saw a lip tie and a posterior tongue tie. We were desperate, exhausted, and into her belly the formula did go.

And I started pumping. I had a Medela Pump in Style, 24 mm flanges, and a couple bottles. We'd give her the ounce and a half I got, from I pumping every two hours, and I thought I'd have to quit then and there.

Thankfully, a week later, a lactation consultant from WIC (contacted by the LLL Leader for me) called and offered to drop by with a WIC symphony for me to borrow. She said it would help me increase my supply as opposed to the pump in style, which would only maintain my supply.



And the pumping began.

As I write this post, I have been pumping for nine weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment