Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pumping and the holidays

So with a new baby brings much joy at the holidays! And awkwardness, if you aren't sure how to come out of the closet with your pump! Not saying you need to do it in the gathering roomwith all your uncles and cousins, but for goodness sake, don't wait to come home to pump!

courtesy of http://mommymcblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/christmas-tree1.jpg

I learned at Thanksgiving that because family get togethers often last five hours on my husband's side, it's ok for me to bring (aka lug--it's HEAVY!) my pump and trimmings along to relieve my breasts and feed the baby.

When we stay at my in-law's house, I have a separate room to pump in. I get all my stuff set up nad there is a clock for me to watch how long I pump, and a comfortable chair to sit in.

When you have your space--and make sure you can have it-- make sure it's private, and quiet--your baby will probably want to take a nap while you are over at your relative's house nad it's a good idea for it to be a bedroom. To find this location, if you are attending a meal, ask the lady of the hosue. She will direct you to the most appropriate place (any one who has been a mom knows the need for privacy to nurse or feed, both for you and for your baby.)

This is a good time to remember that big family get togethers will most likely be overstimulating for your little one.  Make sure you find that quiet room before this happens and you ahve a screaming baby. (speaking from experience here).

When you pack your pump bag, don't forget all your trimmings--breast pads if you need them, oil if you want to have a comfier pumping session, lanolin or whatever you put on your breasts post pumping, lids (very important unless it's going straight into the bottle), and of course, the bottles.

Another tip before traveling. Either make sure your membranes are new/working well, or bring an extra set! It's no fun sitting down for your middle of the night pumping session and the suction just won't kick in because your membranes bit the dust.

If you are a mom who pumps extra, don't forget those bags! If you are me, don't pack the bags hoping your supply will magically increase. Depressing.

Enjoy the holiday season! Because you are nursing, you can eat more (not exponentially more though, especially if you are working off the baby weight). Make sure you take a walk in the winter wonderland to escape from the confines of the pump, and to promote happy holidayish I-refuse-to-gain-weight-this-season thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment